Monday 21 April 2014

BOSTON MARATHON LIVE UPDATES

BOSTON MARATHON LIVE UPDATES (five runners prepare for the race of their lives)



After a year that many runners, spectators and community members spent recovering from last year's horrific bombing, the Boston Marathon is back. And although the running community is stronger than ever, there's little doubt that the enhanced security and massive media presence will have a significant effect on everyone from the bystanders to the 36,000 runners preparing for the race of their lives.
To find out how all the hype and attention is affecting those people at the center of the event, we reached out to five people involved in this year's race to tell us how their feeling about running this year. Here's what they told us:

'I can't imagine not running' – Melissa Alcorn, six-time runner

                         Melissa Alcorn at the 2013 Boston marathon Photograph: Melissa Alcorn



 It is hard to sum up all my feelings I have towards this years marathon.
Last year, I had crossed the finish line two minutes before the bombs went off. I was safely standing on the other side of the finish line. Every time I put my sneakers on I think of that day.
The bombing has certainly made me more aware of security precautions at similar events. I do worry that it may take away from the Boston experience. For example, this year the military men and women who have able to “ruck” the race in the past have been banned. And runners aren't allowed to carry bags anymore.
I can't imagine spending the third Monday in April doing anything else. The most meaningful part of the experience is all the love and support I get from family, friends and perfect strangers along the way. Even during the training runs, the Newton Fire Department set up a water stop outside their station at the start of the dreaded hills. The events of last year have not taken away any of the joy I get from running. I can't wait to cross that finish line along with 36,000 others to prove that the terrorists didn't win.

'It’ll be harder to focus' – Ted Resnikoff, runner

                        Ted Resnikoff training for a race Photograph: /Ted Resnikoff

The bombing angered me. Marathons attract spectators because running is part of being human. Everyone’s determination is awakened watching runners challenge themselves, everyone feels their spirit and drive. The bombing failed as terrorism. It was cowardly, pointless and selfish. It gravely hurt people in lasting ways. We should all be angry.
Security at races seems the same, but Boston ’14 is different. Boston Athletic Association communications are more serious and not as exciting as before. Planned security is more restrictive for runners – it’s going to be less comfortable and harder to focus before the race. With more runners and larger crowds it will be hard to focus on pushing myself. It will be very emotional: we’ve come together. Yet with so much being made of this parts of Boston are forgotten. We should be more inclusive – we’d be better for it. Still, we’re running together and for each other, which is great! Maybe it will make me faster!
I never considered not running: I worried I wouldn’t get in! Boston is tough, with lots of history and my home race. Trying to qualify for Boston makes me run harder. It’s changed my life in many great ways. I’ll race Boston as long as I can qualify.

'It will be more somber this year' – Elyse Andrews, spectator




                        One of the signs Elyse Andrews made last year. Photograph: Courtesy of Elyse Andrews


As a runner myself, I know the importance of support along a race course. Cheering spectators with funny or inspiring signs are really important. Spectating the marathon is wonderful. I enjoy watching everyone from the elites to the "regular" runners like myself. Last year's bombing only increased my desire to attend the Boston Marathon this year. I was at the finish line mere hours before the bombs went off and my heart was absolutely broken.
My broken heart gradually healed as the city and running community pulled together in such a strong way in the days, weeks and months after. I think the event will be more somber than past races, but I have no doubt that the city will be full of excitement and love. I can't wait to get out there and show my support on April 21.


No comments:

Post a Comment